Tuesday, June 19, 2012


I  met a bunny today on my run. Here's a blurry picture of the little guy. It was about 1.5 miles into a 7 mile run that I was not quite feeling today. I'm not sure when my next Triathlon will be b/c of money (I'm broke!) so motivation has been hard to come by. But being the kid that I am, this bunny was a nice momentary distraction and I pushed through the last 5.5miles.


Now for the dish of the day! Rabbit. 


Juuuuuust kidding :) However, I was hungry starting out on the run and if I'd met Mr.Bunny around mile 6 instead of at the beginning, it might have been a different story. 


Tonight Dad showed me what goes into cooking turkey thighs, along with brown rice and sauteed green beans. Surprisingly simple. The turkey needed just a bit of seasoning and then an hour and 15 minute roast in the oven, the brown rice set to boil, and a quick saute for the greens. The process for cooking is different than baking and it weirds me out that there really isn't any measurement that goes into it. At least not in our Italian family. Since I'm a bakerista by nature this was new territory! Regardless the meal turned out pretty good and I've got this one to add to my repertoire. 


Meal: Turkey Thighs,  Brown Rice and Sauteed Green Beans. 


General Processes: 


Turkey Thighs

  • Allow 2 days to defrost in the fridge if frozen OR set microwave to defrost based on packaged weight
  • Rinse turkey thighs and pat dry with paper towels
  • Place on cutting board (preferably one designated for meat only) and season to your liking. We used garlic salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, basil (for sweetness. If you want more savory go with Oregano), paprika, and a sprinkling of kosher salt to form a crust. 
  • Set a wire rack over a baking sheet, place the thighs on the wire rack and roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 375 degrees (F). 
Brown Rice
  • In a small saucepan combine 1 cup brown rice, 2.5 cups water, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 tablespoon granulated chicken stock/flavoring, pinch of kosher salt. 
  • Set to high heat. Watch carefully and as soon as you see it boil set the heat to one level lower than medium. Let the rice simmer there for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
Sauteed Green Beans
  • Steam green beans in microwave safe bowl (5 minutes with 1 inch of water in the bottom of the bowl)
  • Set a frying pan to high heat, spray with cooking spray or olive oil
  • Add ~2 tablespoons (or more) of soy sauce to the green beans, add to pan and fry to desired tenderness. I like them soggy! To each their own. 

Boom. Food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment